Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad
Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad is a great side dish for coconut milk based curries, fried fish cakes or satay.
- 1 cup sliced thai-size cucumbers, about 2
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 teaspoon sliced medium-sized thai chilies and/or orange chilies
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Dissolve the sugar & salt in the water. It helps if you heat the water first. Add the vinegar.
- Slice the cucumbers in half, lengthwise, then lay on their flat cut sides for easier chopping. Chop into thin slices. Slice the shallots into thin slices & chilies into small rounds as well.
- In a small bowl, cover the cucumbers, shallots & chilies with the syrup mixture. Leave in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours before your meal.
Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad is usually served with coconut-based curries, fish cakes and satay. It's sweet, tart & spice helps cut the heaviness of the coconut milk or oil.