Thai Fried Rice with Chicken
Thai Fried Rice with Chicken (khao pad gai – ข้าวผัดไก่) is a very easy dish to make, and a great way to use up leftover rice.
- Prepare all your ingredients: chop the tomato into medium-sized pieces, slice the onion into thin strips, finely chop the garlic and chop the scallions. Slice the cucumbers and chicken.
- Heat the oil on high until hot. Add the onion. Stir well and when it’s softened add the garlic. When the garlic is slightly browned add the chicken. Stir well. Keep flipping the chicken until it’s white on all sides.
- Add the rice and stir well. Add the tomatoes and mix.
- Push the rice to the side of the pan and add a bit more oil. Crack an egg on the oil and mix in the pan. Let set. When solid, flip the rice on top and mix well.
- Add the soy sauces, sugar and salt. Turn off heat.
- Add 1/2 of the scallions and white pepper powder and mix well. Turn onto a plate and garnish with the rest of the scallions, coriander, a piece of lime and the cucumber slices.
- Serve with a small bowl of fish sauce with sliced chilies (prik naam plaa).
You can substitute any meat you want - beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, crab meat, cooked chicken (boiled or baked), ham, hot dogs, chinese sausages, beef jerky, salted chicken, whatever...be creative
For vegetarians - try veggie meat or fried tofu pieces with the rice, or just leave out all together.
Chinese Broccoli is also good in this dish. Cut into small pieces and add after the meat.
Ingredients: What You'll Need
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice, day old (a bit dry) is best
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (both white and green parts)
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup small slices of chicken meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon golden mountain soy sauce *optional
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper powder
- garnish with coriander, lime wedge and cucumber slices