Thai-Style Omelette (khai jiaw, ????????) is a common snack to eat on the street or a quick breakfast or lunch. It’s usually eaten as a one-dish meal or snack over rice, and not eaten as part of a large family-style meal. It’s very easy to make and goes really well with Sri Racha chili sauce.
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce or white soy sauce
- enough oil to cover your pan about 1/2″ deep
- Add the oil to the pan on high heat. Wait until the oil is dancing around in the pan and almost smoking.
- Crack the egg into a bowl. Add the fish sauce and pepper, and whisk with a fork until mixed and frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the oil at a slowish rate, so that it’s a stream of egg hitting the hot oil.
- Cook until lightly browned. Flip and cook the other side until browned as well. About 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro (optional) and serve with Sri Racha sauce.